Short-term sick leave during strike/lockout  


What happens if I’m on short-term sick leave when a strike or lockout starts?


The employer will stop short-term sick leave benefits, but you can apply for Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefits. Applications can be made directly by attending a Service Canada office. You may also check the Service Canada website. Be sure to keep copies of the forms and medical certificates related to your sick leave that you gave to your employer and Service Canada. You are responsible for any medical documentation completion fees, if charged by your doctor.


Please Login or Register